Things have gotten much more difficult for Arsenal after relegation threatened Wigan Athletic produced a huge upset in midweek to secure the FA Cup. The Latics will have a huge amount of confidence and desperation going into this tie and will no doubt believe they can come to the Emirates and take some points away to aid in their relegation dog-fight.
Tottenham’s win at the weekend has also compounded the pressure on Arsenal with the Gunners essentially needing to win their remaining games to secure fourth spot. Spurs ground out a 2-1 win against Stoke to keep alive their hopes of a Champions League spot, but hopefully Arsenal can kill those hopes in their final match.
Arsene Wenger revealed positive team news with everyone now available to play. Questions have been raised over Fabianski starting, but it seems very likely that Szczesny will retain his starting spot after a series of strong performances in recent weeks. It certainly is a vital decision, but you surely couldn’t deny Szczesny on his recent form. The Pole returned a clean sheet last time out, however if you are to place a bet on Unibet this gameweek, then a both teams to score betting market is paying decent odds..
The other question mark is Nacho Monreal or Kieran Gibbs. Wenger has regularly rotated the two with each playing their part in Arsenal’s important matches. Although when you factor into the equation that Gibbs has just returned from injury, I think it is likely that Monreal will be given a starting berth with Gibbs possibly featuring later in the match.
- Report: Raul Sanllehi Identifies 24-Year-Old As The Perfect Replacement For Hector Bellerin
- Report: Arsenal Ready To Offer €100 Million For Thomas Lemar In January
- Report: Arsenal Offer Ozil Final £275,000/Week Contract
The rest of the team will stay the same as previous weeks with Jack Wilshere again looking like he will miss out to Tomas Rosicky after it was confirmed the Englishman will undergo minor surgery at the end of the season. Overall, it is a pretty simple. Keep winning to get into the Champions League, there are no other options.
on the team news…
The news is quite good, we have everyone available. Kieran Gibbs should be back too, he has a test today.
on Lukasz Fabianski…
Fabianski is available as well.
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Arteta (c)
- Arsenal are undefeated in their last 8 home matches in the Premier League.
- Last season Arsenal lost at home to Wigan in their 34th game, a result which helped the Latics avoid relegation.
- That victory last season is Wigan’s only Premier League away win against Arsenal.
- Arsenal have taken 14 points from their last six games, a total only Chelsea can match.
- The Gunners have drawn their last two home games, they have not drawn three in a row within the same season since March-April 2011.
- Wigan have taken five points from their last six games, only three teams have fewer in this period.
- In the six games before that, Wigan took 10 points.
- Wigan need to win this game to realistically avoid relegation to the Championship.
Arsenal 2 Wigan 1