The 20-year-old Bernard has been rumored to be heading to Europe for much of the summer with Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Porto and Shakhtar all said to be interested in the Brazil international. And while Arsene Wenger was tipped to wrap up a deal for the 20-year-old this summer, Arsenal now look set to miss out on the starlet’s signature.
According to reports in Italy, Shakhtar could be set to trump both the Gunners and Porto to sign Bernard with Atletico Mineiro president Alexandre Kalil confirming that the Ukrainian club have met their asking price for the player.
According to Goal.com, Kalil said :
Things are very advanced, [Wednesday] will probably be his last game [for the club]. The team is Shakhtar. They offered the value we want.
If Bernard wants, he will go. If he does not want to go to Ukraine, that’s no problem. It’s in his hands. I have talked with him. It’s a private matter. If he does not want to go, we will not force him.
Bernard has also confirmed that he is considering the offer, but that he has yet to decide if it will be the right move for him ahead of next summer’s World Cup.
He added :
I don’t know if it will be best for me, I’m talking with my family. But nothing is certain yet. I had a meeting with the president and he told me what Shakhtar offered him and myself.
- Revealed: Arsenal Learn Their Fate In Europa League Draw
- Report: Ramsey Injury Opens Door For Arsenal To Move For Steven N’Zonzi
- Revealed: The Extent Of Aaron Ramsey’s Injury
It is between Porto and Shakhtar. I’ve been studying the possibilities and proposals that have been put forward to Atletico and to me.
We are looking and talking, seeing what is best for us. I want to be at a club that gives me visibility. I said I want to be at the World Cup and my chances grow by being at a club with good visibility.
I want to be playing, regardless of where it is, but I want to be happy.
The Gunners were thought to be close to sealing a deal for the young star after reports emerged that a £21m deal had been agreed with his club Atletico Mineiro. Those initial reports were found to be false but interest from Arsenal was still strong. It was also rumoured that Arsene Wenger sent scouts to watch him during the latter part of the season.
Arsenal are now likely to miss out again on one their main transfer targets this summer. With Gervinho on the verge of leaving, Arsenal need a winger to replace him even though we adequate back up but a new signing won’t hurt .
The revelation will come as frustrating news to Arsenal, who have already failed in their attempts to land Gonzalo Higuain and are stumbling in completing a deal to sign Luis Suarez.
With just about 3 weeks remaining for the start of the season, Arsenal are not close to signing any big name player which they promised and loosing on bernard too won’t please many fans.
What do you say Gooners?