Arsenal’s season is going swimmingly so far, a five point gap at the top of the table along with a sense of rejuvenation around the squad with their defensive solidity and insane midfield depth.
There isn’t a lot to moan about, but there are some statistics which could be a cause for concern:
- All nine of Mesut Ozil’s league goals in 2013 (for Real Madrid and Arsenal) have been scored at home, and he has scored only once in an away game in the Champions League – at Allianz Arena, back in April 2012.
- Only one of Olivier Giroud’s 18 Premier League goals has been scored outside London.
Thankfully this season the goal scoring burden has been shared, even Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere have been among the goals despite their previous records.
Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott haven’t been able to gain consistency yet after returning from their respective injuries while Lukas Podokski, who is a lethal finisher, is closing in on his return.
While the statistics certainly alert us to a possible issue, both Ozil and Giroud provide regular assistance and are not always the ones with the final product. It appears they seem to take on this role more than ever on the road.
For the French centre forward, he has scored goals in away games, however most of them have been against the likes of the Spuds, Fulham etc.. London based sides.
- Report: Raul Sanllehi Identifies 24-Year-Old As The Perfect Replacement For Hector Bellerin
- Report: Arsenal Ready To Offer €100 Million For Thomas Lemar In January
- Report: Arsenal Offer Ozil Final £275,000/Week Contract
While initially the statistics appear concerning, if they both continue to work hard away from home and set up goals we can’t really complain! But that is something the duo must work on, maybe it’s just luck or it is a mentality thing, perhaps more so for Ozil. At home, he maybe feels more comfortable to go the extra yard, take a chance and shoot rather than tee up others rather than when he’s in front of his home crowd.
Are you concerned by these stats? Do you think there is something behind Ozil’s lack of away goals? We are interested to hear your thoughts below…