There have been reports that Arsenal is gunning for Loic Remy this summer. This comes as no surprise as he is a talented striker and also a prime target for other top clubs in Europe in this forthcoming summer transfer market. Furthermore, Harry Redknapp even hinted that Remy could leave QPR at the end of the season, giving the reports of a possible move of Remy to Arsenal more plausibility.
Definitely, Arsenal fans would prefer Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema (who is also a reported Arsenal target this summer) to Remy since Benzema is the better striker between the two. However, there are many reasons why Remy would suit Arsenal’s needs;
1) A glimpse of Thierry Henry with pace; as noted before here at Allarsenal, the Gunners lack a speedy and mobile centre forward. Giroud, Bendtner and Sanogo all play as target men while Remy on the other hand, plays like a more agile striker who can run at defenders and create his own chances. Remy could meet that need at Arsenal for a fast striker.
Remy’s record speaks for itself as he has scored 13 goals this season in 25 appearances for Newcastle. Some have even likened his style of play to that of Thierry Henry. While that is clearly an exaggeration, there is an element of truth as Remy has a striking similarity with his pace and the ability to finesse shots.
2) He is not expensive; compared to other top forwards, Remy is actually a cheaper option. Karim Benzema’s market value is at least £28m while it is reported that Wenger is to table a £12 million bid for Loic Remy. Last year, Arsenal bid for Luis Suarez for £40m. Furthermore, it would be unlikely for Remy to be handed the same wage packages as Suarez or Benzema since he is less experienced than the other two.
- Report: Raul Sanllehi Identifies 24-Year-Old As The Perfect Replacement For Hector Bellerin
- Report: Arsenal Ready To Offer €100 Million For Thomas Lemar In January
- Report: Arsenal Offer Ozil Final £275,000/Week Contract
Considering that Wenger is a manager known for his frugality and that he always operates on a tight budget, Remy might be his typically preferred transfer deal.
3) A good deal of Premier League experience; Remy first played for QPR in the 2012/13 season in the EPL and now, is on loan at Newcastle for this 2013/14 season. His stint with Newcastle this year has proven him to be a reliable striker, scoring 13 goals this season. This gives Remy an advantage over many other reported Arsenal targets like Benzema and Julian Draxler. Remy wouldn’t have to adapt to the pace and physical demands of the EPL unlike the other transfer targets from foreign leagues. Giroud did not find it easy to score when he first came to Arsenal and had to adapt.
4) He is French; it is no secret that Wenger loves to buy French players. Given the current team line-up of the Gunners, Remy should feel at home with many of his French compatriots like Giroud, Sanogo, Flamini and Koscielny.
5) He has more to come; Remy’s full potential has not been seen yet, despite his special performances at Newcastle this year. Clearly, if he were at a better team that creates more chances, he would probably score more goals. Furthermore, this has been his only full season in the EPL with only 25 appearances. Definitely, he could do more with more appearances.
What are your thoughts? Do you rate Remy?