Football has been steadily growing for years, and is arguably at it’s peak at the moment. The amount of money involved in the game is verging on insanity, and a number of the world’s top players are on astronomical wages.
Arsenal are not known for their high wages, as our financial limitations have restricted us in recent years. We have started to close the gap on big spenders like Chelsea, Manchester City, and Real Madrid however, which is evidenced by the presence of one of our recent signings on Forbes 100 highest earning athletes list.
The list is populated by American footballers, basketball players, boxers, and a host of other sportsmen, but here are the 15 football players who make the list:
15) Mesut Özil – Arsenal – #93
- [Match Highlights] Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle – All The Highlights & Best Bits
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle – Ozil Wonder Goal Saves Boring, Boring Arsenal
- [Confirmed Lineups] Arsenal v Newcastle United – Wilshere & Lacazette Start In 4-2-3-1
The World Cup winner just sneaks in at #93, and is still some way off the top earners. The German international is our record signing, with Arsene Wenger bringing him to the Emirates from Real Madrid.
14) Eden Hazard – Chelsea – #90
One of the few players who might be capable of challenging Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for the title of world’s best, it’s just a shame he plays for Chelsea.
13) Frank Lampard – New York City FC – #87
The former Chelsea star spent the season with Manchester City, and proved that despite his age he can still compete at the highest level.