Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has begrudgingly reported for England duty this week – according to reports in the Daily Mirror – which suggest that the Three Lions star has been left fuming over the FA’s misconduct charge.
Arsenal transfer news
Wilshere was hit with the FA rap yesterday after swearing as he addressed fans via a microphone during the club’s open-top bus parade celebrations on Sunday, which took place following our second successive FA Cup triumph.
However, the 23-year-old has joined up with the rest of Roy Hodgson’s squad ahead of England’s games with Republic of Ireland and Slovenia, the latter being a Euro 2016 qualification game.
Wilshere was warned about his conduct during last year’s parade but is said to be ‘disappointed’ over the charge, which he feels is unfair. He has apologised for his actions but, as the Mirror points out, he has not actually broken the code of conduct laid down for England players in October 2012.
The FA statement on Wilshere’s charge said: “It is alleged his conduct in making and/or inciting certain comments during the club’s open bus trophy tour was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.”
- Report: Raul Sanllehi Identifies 24-Year-Old As The Perfect Replacement For Hector Bellerin
- Report: Arsenal Ready To Offer €100 Million For Thomas Lemar In January
- Report: Arsenal Offer Ozil Final £275,000/Week Contract
Despite the contradictory message this sends out, Wilshere looks set to be fined. He has until 6pm on June 10th to respond, so will likely train and play for England with his punishment still not fully determined.
This is clearly an example of the FA trying to make an example out of a player, with Wilshere the unfortunate victim. In a week where we’ve seen stories of mass corruption in FIFA (via The Independent), such petty claims surely shouldn’t be getting highlighted so drastically!