Arsene Wenger has given a positive update on Alexis Sanchez’s ankle injury with the Chile international expected to feature for his country against Argentina on Thursday.
The 28-year-old was forced off during Saturday’s defeat to West Brom with Wenger insisting after the game his ankle was in an “absolutely terrible state”.
Despite this, Sanchez travelled to Chile and has been pictured training with the national side ahead of their World Cup qualifier.
Wenger clashed with Chile at the end of last year blasting their decision to play Sanchez as “suicidal” with the Arsenal star once again playing through the pain barrier.
However, the Arsenal boss says as far as he is aware the current injury is only minor and not as bad as first feared.
“He [Alexis] left for Chile and in South America its a decisive period in the qualifiers for the World Cup,’ Wenger told beIN SPORTS.
- Wenger Hoping Sanchez Will Be Fit To Face Liverpool
- Lacazette’s Goal Was Not Offside At All, Says Angry Wenger
- Manchester City Set To Offer Arsenal £70m For Sanchez
“They have a very important game in Argentina over the weekend and he went there.
“The last news I have is that it was only the kick. We didn’t know after the kick if his ligaments were damaged or not because it was swollen and it was difficult to assess after the game.”
While the news will be a relief to Arsenal fans there is concern that Sanchez is set to play for his country and risk aggravating the problem.
Arsenal face Manchester City when domestic action resumes after the international break and will need their top scorer fit and firing if they are to return to winning ways.