We’re being linked with a host of midfielders ahead of the summer transfer window opening, and Porto midfielder Danilo Pereira is among those being scouted, as reported by the Daily Mail.
Ex-Arsenal star Luis Boa Morte has been scouting the 24-year-old for quite some time, and earlier this season he revealed that he’d been monitoring him since he was a teenager.
“I’ve watched Danilo since he was 15 or 16 years old at Benfica,” he said (via the Daily Mail).
“His development has been impressive, but I wasn’t surprised by it.
“Danilo has quality for a different challenge, he just need to be given the opportunity. Things are already easy for him at FCP.”
The Portuguese star only recently moved to Porto from Maritimo, and apparently has a pretty hefty £29.5m release clause in his current contract (via the Daily Mail).
That figure may well turn out to be rather off putting for Arsene Wenger, especially as the holding midfielder didn’t exactly cover himself in glory this past Monday night. Boa Morte watched him pick up an early booking before somewhat surprisingly losing 1-0 against Primeira Liga minnows Tondela.
With the likes of Granit Xhaka and Toni Kroos being linked with a switch to north London as well (via the Metro), it seems unlikely that Wenger would fork out close to £30m for Danilo.
That said, we could still use a more dedicated defensive midfielder, as Mohamed Elneny seems to be playing the role of box-to-box midfielder more than anything.
He certainly seems capable of replacing Francis Coquelin if necessary, but with the likes of Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta coming to the end of their respective careers, we really need to strengthen this summer.
Xhaka and Kroos are both top quality midfielders, but neither are particularly known for their defensive contributions.
Arsenal transfer news
It’s difficult to see Danilo moving this summer, especially for such a huge fee, but Boa Morte is clearly a fan and is likely to be recommending the player to Wenger.