At last we can reveal Arsene Wenger has made one January signing – introducing Spanish international and now former Malaga left back Nacho Monreal.
His real name may well not be Nacho (but Ignacio) but he is one tasty acquisition. Kieran Gibbs is certainly Arsenal’s first choice left-back, but his backup Andre Santos is a calamity at best and should never take the field for an important Gunners fixture, let alone a Premier League fixture against Liverpool. However despite the acquisition of Monreal, Wenger will still be short for the UCL clash with Bayern Munich in early February as the Spaniard is cup-tied after featuring in the competition with his former side.
Wenger told Arsenal’s official website:
We are delighted that Nacho Monreal has agreed to join us. We have been monitoring him for some time now and are really pleased that we’ve been able to agree this move today. Monreal is a strong left-sided defender with good experience at both club and international level. He is a technically gifted player, a good crosser in the final third and strong in the air. Monreal will add quality to our squad and of course, to our defensive unit. We all look forward to him playing for us.
The deal is subject to the completion of formal registration processes.
Here are ten interesting facts about Arsenal’s one and only winter signing:
1. Born in Pamplona on February 26, 1986.
- Boost For Arsenal As Atletico Admit Two Key Men Will Miss First Leg
- Revealed: The Meagre Transfer Budget Arsenal’s New Manager Will Have
- David Dein: Wenger Will Have No Shortage Of Offers
2. Began his career at Osasuna and made 127 appearances.
3. Made his international debut in a 3-2 friendly win over Macedonia in 2009.
4. Has nine international caps to his name.
5. Linked with a move to Liverpool in 2011 when reports emerged former director of football strategy Damien Comolli was scouting him.
6. Signed for Malaga in 2011, where he helped them qualify for the Champions League for the first time in their history.
7. His real name is not Nacho, shock horror, but Ignacio.
8. Will be cup tied in the Champions League.
A quality leftback has been on the cards for awhile since Clichy left and only Santos was brought in. Don’t get me wrong though the Brazilian’s future at the Emirates is not over yet as he can still be utilized as a left winger if required as he does possess some attacking magic.
What are your thoughts on the acquisition of Mr Nacho Monreal? Feel free to comment below..