Current Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna, who is soon to be a free agent in June, has confirmed he has not signed for Manchester City despite reports suggesting otherwise, but the chances remain slim that he’ll be a Gunner next season.
The France international will take part of the summer to mull over his options after declining a new Arsenal deal, as he remains focused on the upcoming World Cup campaign.
The Gunners eventually offered their experienced right back a healthy pay rise and a three year deal valued at around £80-90,000 per-week, but for a long time they dwindled on a lower pay package for a year or two max. Unfortunately it was too little too late and despite his immense commitment to the club during his stay he looks set to depart when his current deal expires next month. He rates his own chances of staying at around 10%.
Reports had suggested Sagna was in for a medical with the Premier League champions, and while they are among the clubs interested in his signature, the Frenchman still is undecided over his future destination.
He told Le Parisien:
I have not signed with anybody, agreed with no-one. All the English media are sending me to Manchester City, but I don’t have any agreement with them or with anyone else. I have never set foot there. Several European and English clubs have contacted me. Certain talks have gone further than others and Manchester City are among them.
- Who Is Vinai Venkatesham? The Man Stepping Up As Ivan Gazidis Leaves Arsenal
- Official: Ivan Gazidis To Leave Arsenal For AC Milan
- Revealed: How Much Manchester United Have Paid Alexis Sanchez Since His Move From Arsenal
But today, I’m still an Arsenal player. It would be good to have everything sorted out before the World Cup, on which I am now completely focused.
Sagna feels there is a slight chance he could yet remain in north London, but it is perhaps time for a fresh challenge as he looks to settle what could be his last top-level contract.
The Frenchman also went on to praise Arsenal, reiterating his happiness during the seven year stint and is pleased he helped Arsene Wenger and his team mates to claim the clubs first piece of silverware for nine years.
Today, there’s a 90% chance I will leave and 10% that I will stay. I have been asking myself that question for a long time, and it’s the time for a new challenge.
Arsenal is an extraordinary club that has given me the chance to grow, both in sporting and human terms. It’s a family club, I feel good here. I’ve had some very good years here.
It’s incredible to finish by winning the FA Cup. The club so deserved a trophy. It’s an opportunity to thank Arsene Wenger, the staff, all the people at the club and, of course, all the fans for the support they have given me over my seasons and above all my two serious injuries. Whatever happens, Arsenal will stay forever in my heart.
Some heartwarming stuff from the Frenchman who has been an important player for a number of years, exercising his incredible athleticism and consistency at right back.
He has also shown his versatility recently which makes his loss even harder to take but it’s time to look elsewhere and reinforce accordingly. A number of right backs have been mooted to join the club including the likes of Toulouse’s Serge Aurier and Schalke’s Atsuto Uchida.
We are all now resided to the fact he’s departing, so farewell and good luck Sagna. Time to finalize a replacement to battle Jenkinson, Wenger!