La Liga Striker Lucas Perez has been allowed to miss Deportivo La Coruna’s match against Real Betis on Friday night as the striker moves closer to a move to Arsenal.
Reports earlier this week stated Wenger was aiming to steal Perez from Everton’s grasps and it has been revealed that Deportivo and Arsenal have reached an agreement for the striker.
The Spanish club released the news of Perez’s absence from the squad on Thursday evening. It said, “The striker Lucas Perez will not fly to Seville, with permission of the club.”
— RC Deportivo (@RCDeportivo) 25 August 2016
Arsene Wenger is also reaching an agreement with Valencia for their centre-back, Shkodran Mustafi. The arrival of the two players would complete the necessary reinforcements needed at the club as the North London side has shown weakness in defence due to two injuries to senior players and need more impetus up front.
The Frenchman has had multiple attempts to bring a striker to the club over the entire course of summer rebuffed, but it appears he is finally getting somewhere. Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, Lyon’s forward Alexandre Lacazette and French international Antoine Griezmann were all approached during the current transfer market.
Perez scored 17 goals and managed eight assists last season. Arsenal has agreed to pay a fee of £17 million which meets his buy-out clause in his contract with Deportivo. The 27 year old is yet to earn a cap for Spain and has never played in the Champions League. The Gunners participation in the tournament is one of the major factors which made the Spaniard choose the club over Everton.
- [Team news] Arsenal v Rapid Vienna line up – Arteta to rotate as fans return
- Two signings set in January as Arsenal give Arteta ‘vote of confidence’
- Norwich star says it ‘depends’ on club if Arsenal can sign him
According to local newspaper La Voz De Galicia, Perez is expected to fly to London for his medical on Friday. Defender Mustafi is also expected to arrive for his medical on the same day.