Arsene Wenger has said Atletico Madrid have made no approach for midfield maestro Santi Cazorla and insists his future is at Arsenal.
Arsenal transfer rumours
There have been regular links between La Liga champions and the Spaniard over recent days with claims from respected Spanish journalist Guillem Balague that Diego Simeone’s side were confident of capturing our number 19.
However, in his pre-Crystal Palace press conference Wenger said that the Spanish giants have yet to make any offer for Cazorla and also insisted his future is at the Emirates.
AW insists future of Santi is at Arsenal despite reports of interest from A Madrid
— Jim van Wijk (@jimvanwijkPA) February 20, 2015
Cazorla only extended his Arsenal contract last year and Wenger says he doesn’t believe the club should have any concerns over his future commitment, despite claims in the week he only has 18 months left on his deal.
Santi has been a revelation this season in a deeper-lying role becoming almost an ideal box to box midfielder when paired with the more defensive minded Francis Coquelin in the middle.
- [Team news] Arsenal line up vs Wolves – Arteta’s dilemma with three out
- [Player ratings] Molde 0-3 Arsenal – Balogun scores as Gunners cruise
- Arteta reveals contract talks for starlet who’s part of Arsenal’s ‘DNA’
And Arsene lavished the praised when asked about the little Spaniard’s influence so far this campaign.
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) February 20, 2015
Given Santi’s growing influence this season, his majestic performance against Manchester City typifying his renaissance in the middle after a sub-par last season, you’d expect Arsenal would be looking to tie him down to a new deal as soon as possible.
But we all know we don’t like to make things easy for ourselves…