Fears are reportedly growing at Arsenal that Alexis Sanchez will push for a move away from the club before the end of the transfer window.
According to the Mirror, the club are concerned by the Chilean’s current injury that has ruled him out of Friday night’s clash with Leicester City.
Manager Arsene Wenger confirmed earlier that Sanchez would be out with an abdominal injury picked up in training.
Sanchez sat out Sunday’s Community Shield clash with Chelsea after returning to training late and fans will now have to wait again to see him back in action.
Reportedly the club fear that his injury could be linked to a potential exit, with Manchester City still believed to be interested in landing the Chilean.
- Edu tipped to complete 2-year transfer for Arsenal in 2022
- Arsenal boss Arteta reveals ‘door always open’ for ex-star to return
- Revealed: Arteta to make major change for next Arsenal game
Although Sanchez has so far refused to extend his current deal, recent reports had claimed he had accepted that Arsenal will not sell him and was resigned to staying for another season.
Wenger was also asked about Sanchez’s future during his pre-match press conference, and if particular if he will sign an extension.
“All is possible you know,” said Wenger. “When a player goes into the final year of their contract we will try to extend the contract because there is no reason we shouldn’t do it, but we are not there yet.
“I can’t tell you that [if any offers have been made] at the moment. I just think we are not open – what I said to you many times – to any offers, anyway.”
Sanchez’s bout of “flu” before his return to London, coupled with his current injury seems to have brought out the conspiracy theorists, particularly given his usual seemingly indestructible nature.
Hopefully, we can see him back in action for Arsenal sooner rather than later.