Quite a number of rumours are circulating at the moment especially with the winter transfer window fast approaching, and interestingly it seems that Wenger is scouting a few top players to solve Arsenal’s faltering form.
According to reports Napoli’s Cavani is being scouted, with Everton’s Fellaini also earmarked as a potential acquisition, and even more interestingly it has been revealed Arsenal held talks with Inter Milan’s former goalkeeper Cesar prior to his move to QPR over the summer.
First up, Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper maestro Julio Cesar has admitted to discussions with the Gunners hierarchy over the summer and was close to sealing a move, however he pulled out in favour of QPR’s ‘project’
Cesar told The Sunday People:
I accepted this proposal because I wanted to live in London.
I have an amazing way of life here and I’m giving my family a great opportunity to grow up culturally.
- Arsenal Man Reveals That Arteta Has United The Dressing Room
- Roma Boss Says He Wants To Keep Arsenal’s Mkhitaryan Next Season
- Xhaka On Arsenal Comeback: I Am Not A Guy Who Runs Away
I talked with Arsenal in the last transfer window, and they were really happy about me playing for them, but at the last minute I moved to QPR.
QPR has a project, and I dream about that project coming true. But I came here because I was thinking about my future once I quit football, that’s true.
It is a mystery how an established player like Cesar ends up choosing QPR over the Gunners. Maybe it is the competition he would of faced in Szczesny had he chosen North London over West, but regardless Arsenal should be luring and sealing players of Cesar’s calibre that would strengthen the squad and he would provide ample competition to the Gunners goalkeeping spots with Fabianski certain to leave next summer with his expiring contract.
But anyway, onto some more enlightening reports as The Mirror are sure that Arsene Wenger is lining up Marouane Fellaini this January as his number one target to add some height and power to the midfield.
The Belgium international has been nothing short of impressive this season and has already notched six goals helping Everton up the table. The attack-minded midfielder who has found himself at home playing behind the central striker hinted in September that it was time to move on from Merseyside stating:
This will be one of my last seasons at Everton.
The 24-year-old has been observed closely by Wenger and his scouting team and it maybe time for Arsenal to raid the Everton midfield for the second consecutive summer after last years astute acquisition of Mikel Arteta who is now vice-captain and a mainstay in the side.
The highly versatile Fellaini can play a host of positions such as a more defensive midfield role, box to box, attacking midfielder and as a striker. He has come into his own this season and will be high on the list for many clubs come January including London rivals Chelsea.
The main stumbling block would have to be Everton’s asking price with manager David Moyes not keen to sell his prized asset anytime soon as the Belgian signed a new 5-year deal last year. According to sources it may take an astronomical £30million to bring him to North London, however that is well out of Wenger’s price range especially with the Frenchman adamant on placing faith in injury prone Diaby, Rosicky and the hot-and-cold Aaron Ramsey as backups to the established trio of Wilshere, Arteta and Cazorla.
Lastly, according to The Daily Mail, the Gunners are ‘set to double their transfer record’ and splash a crazy £30million on Napoli striker Edinson Cavani as Van Persie’s successor.
Arsenal’s attacking options are thin at present, despite Giroud’s brace against Fulham it is evident that Wenger needs more options up front to compliment or provide competition for the French striker, and Uruguay international Cavani has been earmarked as a possible candidate.
The 25-year old has been making waves recently after some stunning performances for Napoli including scoring all four goals against Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the Europa League last week.
According to the report Wenger has received a ‘glowing report’ on Cavani from his chief scout Steve Rowley who visited Italy to witness the strikers heroics against the Ukrainian side, however it will take a serious offer to steal the prolific forward away from the Italian outfit as he not only signed a new five-year contract last May, he has also notched an incredible 79 goals in 108 matches making him invaluable to the club.
While many Gooners can dream the move will materialize it is extremely unlikely. However if Wenger wants to seriously push for a top spot this season he needs serious reinforcements and fast. Gervinho has been up and down in form and will be off to the African Cup of Nations in January, Walcott’s future has yet to be sorted, Chamakh has been used sparingly and is hardly a top calibre player and Podolski has not excelled when leading the line.
Splash some cash Wenger..and fast! Llorente, Hunterlaar or Cavani, there are top grade strikers around even if they come at a Arsenal-transfer-record-breaking price. Otherwise the Arsenal’s season hangs in a similar balance as last year.
What are your thoughts on the linked players? Feel free to comment below or in allArsenal’s transfer rumours thread in the forums.