Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has confirmed Barcelona have again registered their interest in signing Cesc Fabregas this summer.
Last summer Barca failed in their bid to prise Fabregas away from Arsenal with Arsene Wenger adamant that his captain would not leave the club but, with the player having expressed a wish to return to the Camp Nou, many felt that he might depart this summer. Earlier in the week Fabregas had expressed his happiness at being at Arsenal, however Arsenal chairman Hill-Wood has now said that Barca have been in contact but stressed that, as yet, they have not tabled an offer.
“Yes, they have spoken to us about Cesc,” he told the Sunday Mirror. “They have been in touch, but so far they have not made a bid and we do not want to let him go.
As much as the thought of losing our captain and prized asset of Wengers new revolution of young talent, his strong links to his homeland Barcelona makes it a hard opportunity to turn down for Fabregas, and an understandable move.
Pep Guardiola is believed to be keen to sign Fabregas, but Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has warned that they will not match last year’s €40 million offer. Rosell also said that, although this year’s transfer budget stands at €45 million, the club may use cash from next summer’s transfer kitty to increase that figure, while there are also certain to be sales, with Bojan Krkic set to leave for Roma in the coming days.
There has been an (unlikely) rumour emerge today in regards to star forward David Villa making way to fund the transfer for Cesc. Villa joined Barca only 13 months ago in a £35m switch from Valencia and bagged 23 goals for Pep Guardiola’s impressive side last season, and has been linked with a £40m move to Chelsea or Man City. Why on earth the Catalan giants would sanction a transfer for one of their only out and out strikers I don’t know…