Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Francis Coquelin’s injury is not as bad as first feared and that the midfielder is set to miss just three weeks of action with the knee problem picked up against Chelsea.
The 25-year-old was forced off in the first half of Saturday’s 3-0 win at the Emirates and it was initially feared he would be set for months on the sidelines, with Wenger admitting after the game he was worried about the midfielder.
However, speaking ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League clash with FC Basel, Wenger has eased fears and confirmed that while Coquelin will be out of Arsenal’s next few games, they are expecting him back soon.
“Coquelin is out for the game tomorrow but it should be a short term injury. It could be three weeks out,” he said via the Metro.
The news will be a relief to the Gunners with Coquelin having been a virtual ever-present for the Gunners so far this season. However, he does look set to miss Premier League games against Burnley and Swansea along with the Champions League clash with Ludogorets.
Unless Coquelin suffers any problem during his rehabilitation he looks likely to be fit in time for the visit of Middlesbrough to the Emirates on Saturday 25th October.
- [Team news] Arsenal line up vs Sheff Utd – Injury woes increase
- Predicted Arsenal line up vs Slavia Prague – It’s “all or nothing”
- Arsenal icon Martin Keown says squad will be ‘baffled’ by star’s omission
His spell out of the team is likely to be slightly worse news for summer signing Granit Xhaka who is widely expected to take his place in the team. The midfielder has already endeared himself to Gooners with stunning goals against Hull City and Nottingham Forest but will now have to work even harder to stay there.