As the Fabregas saga continues, Arsenal have for the first time admitted that they would be willing sell Cesc Fabregas, but only if the price was right. This is not looking good, as Wenger had clearly stated that Fabregas wasn’t for sale this summer.
Barcelona have already opened the bidding for the Gunners skipper this summer, offering a measly £27million, as Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has said he believes Fabregas’ value has fallen since last year. This is namely in reference to Fabregas’ lack of form caused by an unlucky streak of injuries and that he has one year less on current contract expiring in 2015.
As reported in The Daily Mail, rumours in the Spanish press that the 24-year-old will not return for pre-season training on July 5, a senior Arsenal source has admitted Fabregas’ eight-year stay in north London could be over.
The official said: “The offer was made formally in writing to our chief executive (Ivan Gazidis), and we said no straight away.”
When asked if the club expected an improved offer this week, the source told the BBC: “Possibly yes, and if it’s enough then I expect we’ll have to sell.”
Financial constraints at Barcelona appear to be the biggest obstacle to the deal, with Arsenal seeking considerably more than the £35m the Catalan’s have set aside.
- Reports Reveal Why Arsenal Missed Out On Signing Monchi As Gunners Eye Other Targets
- Reports: Arsenal Could Offer Two Players In Bid To Sign Palace’s Wan-Bissaka
- Maitland-Niles: I Want To Challenge Bellerin For Right-Back Slot
It was Victor Valdes’ turn to speak out on Fabregas, claiming that a deal would represent good business “It would be a major boost for the team,” he said. “I don’t know whether it will take a long time, but what I do know for certain is that he wants to return to his boyhood club.”