Arsenal’s next season could start just eleven days after the World Cup final if certain parameters are met.
While Arsenal continue to dominate at home, the club’s away form is coming drastically close to ruining the remainder of this season.
Defeat to Newcastle on Sunday means that Arsenal have lost five consecutive Premier League away matches for the first time and five consecutive away matches for the first time since 1984.
Arsenal’s season hinges on that upcoming Europa League semi-final draw with Atletico Madrid.
The Gunners want to get back into the Champions League and with no chance of finishing in the top four in the Premier League, victory in the Europa League is the only possible route.
– Arsenal don't win Europa League
– Burnley overtake them in the Premier League
– Southampton don't win FA Cup
Arsenal's season would kick off on July 26 with the second preliminary round of the Europa League, 11 days after the World Cup Final
- [Match Highlights] Liverpool v Arsenal – All The Goals And Best Bits
- [Player Ratings] Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal – Guendouzi & Pepe Star But Gunners Undone
- [Confirmed Lineups] Liverpool v Arsenal – Pepe Starts For Gunners
— James Benge (@jamesbenge) April 16, 2018
Should the Gunners fail to win the Europa League, fall behind Burnley in the Premier League and if Southampton don’t win the FA Cup then they would enter the Europa League at the second qualifying round.
That round starts on 26 July, just eleven days after the World Cup final. It’s a daunting prospect for Arsenal’s pre-season preparation and a situation which the Gunners should do everything to avoid.