Nigerian mogul Aliko Dangote claims he is interested in buying Arsenal (via the Mirror), despite failing in his attempt to secure a stake in the club back in 2010. But what do we actually know about the African billionaire?
Here are six things you should know about our potential new owner:
6) He is an award winning tycoon
The Mirror report that Dangote was named Forbes Africa Person of the Year in 2014, an extremely prestigious award that a number of respected candidates were nominated for.
- Arsenal keeping tabs on €40m Italy star after ‘outstanding’ season
- Where Arsenal would have finished in the league without VAR
- Arsenal’s top Hector Bellerin replacement is now available for £30m
He was also named Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger in 2011.
5) He is worth almost $15 billion (close to £10bn)
His massive fortune makes him the richest man in Africa, with the Mirror reporting that he has seen his wealth multiply almost eight-fold since 2010.
The Nigerian is the 67th richest man in the world, according to Forbes. He was also significantly richer before the devaluation of Nigeria’s currency, and has seen his wealth drop by billions in the last year (via Bloomberg).