Arsene Wenger has said there has been another setback in Olivier Giroud’s injury. The Arsenal boss was speaking at his regular pre-match press conference ahead of the Champions League clash against FC Basel (via Arsenal.com).
The pre-match feeling at the Emirates has been boosted by the news that Francis Coquelin’s injury is not as bad as first feared. It was thought that the Frenchman could be out until the New Year but Arsene Wenger confirmed that the 25-year-old will be back within a month.
“It’s positive because last year in this period,” Wenger said in his pre-match press conference. “We had a few long term injuries and it was a handicap in our season, after you always play the same players in the same positions and you lose a little bit your edge physically.
“The fact is that we have a compact squad but of top quality so to keep everyone together is a big plus.”
The Arsenal boss also gave an update on the fitness of Olivier Giroud but it was not as positive. The striker has struggled this season, first with getting back to full fitness and then with a toe injury sustained in the Champions League match against PSG.
“Giroud is not available.” The Boss responded when asked if he will playing tomorrow. “He’s suspended after getting sent off against PSG – he’s even a doubt for Sunday, we’ll see.”
- Arsenal keeping tabs on €40m Italy star after ‘outstanding’ season
- Where Arsenal would have finished in the league without VAR
- Arsenal’s top Hector Bellerin replacement is now available for £30m
Wenger was then asked if his number 12 will be going with the French squad for the upcoming international break. “I don’t know, it depends on the evolution of his injury.”