Jamie Vardy looks like he could still make the switch to Arsenal this summer, despite some serious delays in the potential deal. Recent reports have suggested it could end up being another long and protracted saga though, so we take a look here at what information we have so far (via The Telegraph).
Follow the author on Twitter: @Attlee
1) We’ve met Vardy’s release clause
Vardy has a release clause in his contract, reported to be around £20m (via The Telegraph). We have apparently activated that clause, so it’s now down to agreeing personal terms and the player’s individual decision.
2) Vardy has been offered £120,000 to join Arsenal
There’s reportedly a £120,000 offer on the table for Vardy (via the BBC), which would make him one of the highest paid players at the club.
- Arsenal and Liverpool both want a surprising Premier League midfielder
- [Team news] Arsenal v Rapid Vienna line up – Arteta to rotate as fans return
- Two signings set in January as Arsenal give Arteta ‘vote of confidence’
3) Leicester have made a counter offer
The Foxes have apparently made the 29-year-old an improved offer to tempt him into staying, and while they haven’t been able to even come close to matching our offer, Vardy is certainly considering his options. He’s yet to announce his decision, but it’s unclear whether that’s down to the player, either club, or his duties with England.
4) Vardy was supposed to make a decision before flying out with England
The Telegraph’s report claims that Vardy was supposed to make a final decision ahead of England’s flight to France for the Euros this summer, which it seems hasn’t happened. It could be a case of the news merely not being announced, but it does seem like a decision is yet to be reached.
5) We will probably be waiting until after the Euros to finalise this deal
If Vardy really hasn’t given his decision, then there are unlikely to be any further developments before the Euros finish – or at least until England are knocked out. The Telegraph states that English players have been forbidden from heading home to complete transfers while the competition is underway, so with Vardy already flying out the window appears to be closed for the moment.
Arsenal transfer news
Obviously we have no way of telling what the delay is or whether this move will still happen, but you can be sure that we haven’t heard the last of this rumour.