Arsene Wenger has ruled out re-signing Serge Gnabry after speculation the youngster could be set to make a shock return to north London.
Gnabry left the Gunners for Werder Bremen in the summer and has impressed in the Bundesliga, he is the club’s top scorer with seven goals this season.
Recent reports in Germany have claimed that Bayern Munich have an option to sign Gnabry and that he has a €10 million release in his current deal.
The speculation has led Bremen’s Frank Baumann to insist the club would talk to Gnabry about his future.
“We will sit down with Serge Gnabry any time soon and talk about the future,” he said via ESPN. “It’s important for us that we most of all convince him with sporting arguments.”
Later reports suggested Arsenal could then make a move to re-sign the Germany international, with Wenger having previously admitted he did not want him to leave.
- [Team News] Arsenal v Nottingham Forest – Holding Declared Fully Fit
- Chambers: I Had To Score After Mistake For Villa Goal
- Unai Emery On Why Matteo Guendouzi’s Attitude Is His Best Trait
However, when asked about the rumours in Thursday’s pre-match press conference, Wenger denied the club were set to make a move for Gnabry.
“No, we have sold him to Bremen. At the time it looked like Bayern were behind it but I don’t know. We don’t want to re-sign him,” he said.
Wenger’s words are bound to disappoint some fans who have watched the youngster shine for Bremen, despite the side enduring a tough season, they are just three points off the drop zone.